22/01/2024 - 04/02/2024
12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Our Moon is excited to announce that we are launching the application for our 2024-25 Young Leaders programme! You can register your interest in becoming a Young Leader from 22 January until 4 February at 23:59.
We are inviting applications from recent Grade 12 leavers (either 2022 or 2023) who have between 6 and 8 points in their best six ECZ exams, come from vulnerable households and want to make a difference in society. We want students with varied academic interests. Mostly, we want students who yearn to learn, have an open mind and are passionate about making a difference in the world.
PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION BELOW CAREFULLY. A LINK TO THE REGISTRATION OF INTEREST FORM IS AT THE END
Our Moon opened doors for me that I never dreamed existed. Thando Lungu
Our Moon is an education NGO, registered as an international NGO in Zambia by the Ministry of Community Development. We unleash the potential in Zambia’s young people so they leave with the skills, knowledge and dispositions to thrive in university and can contribute to positive social change in their communities, country and continent.
- Learn basic and more advanced IT skills
- Discover yourself through your Identity and Expression course
- Research your academic passions and write a 4000-word essay on a glocal issue
- Develop your critical reading and writing skills
- Improve your English grammar and punctuation
- Prepare for SATs and Duolingo English Test
- Apply to universities and for scholarships
- Gain employability skills through projects, internships or entrepreneurship opportunities
- Learn how to look after your physical health
- Take part in community service.
CHANGES FOR 2024
To reach many more students, we are changing the way we select students and deliver our programme.
SELECTION: Subject to meeting our criteria above, students will be involved in a level of self-selection. We will ask you to complete some tasks prior to us making final selection. Your commitment to delivering these tasks will facilitate your progression to subsequent stages.
DELIVERY: Unlike previous years, our programme will be delivered partly to you at home with blocks of time on site, in Chibombo. We are looking for the most motivated students to participate.
For those students who narrowly fail to meet our requirements, we will be offering places on our online Identity and Expression Programme. Enthusiastic participants may have a chance to move to our Young Leaders Programme.
- January 2024 – Register your interest using this form
- 4 February 2024 – Registrations close at midnight in Zambia (23:59:59 CAT)
- February and March – Tasks phase – part of the selection process is to set you a range of tasks to test your strengths, your ability to understand and comply with instructions, your ability to deliver assignments on time and your enthusiasm
- March and April – Bootcamp 1: Outstanding students will be invited to Our Moon in Chibombo for final selection and to start the programme, including Reflective Writing for Public Speaking, IT skills, English skills (language and literature)
- May-July – Start research essay from home, take part in online programmes. Full time study required
- August – September – Bootcamp 2: Return to Chibombo for university guidance programme, and to continue Our Moon courses and SAT prep
- October – SATs, completion of research essay and continuation with courses from home
- November – Bootcamp 3: Return to Chibombo to complete all courses and course work and work on university applications
- December – Return home to complete university applications
- Christmas and New Year’s – Break while still progressing university application.Second year
- January/February – May – Internships and/or projects and/or entrepreneurship opportunities, while progressing university applications and continuing online learning
- April 1 – Most university decisions are out
- June/July – At home preparing for university
- July – Graduation in Chibombo and becoming an Our Moon Alum!
- August – Depart university**.
All applicants are expected to have achieved a high academic standard and must have completed high school in Zambia. We would typically expect students to have gained between 6-8 points from six, out of eight, subjects in their Grade 12 ECZ exams.